This birthday is my 40th and it’s not about doing a certain number of anything on my birthday. I can climb a 100+ pitches in a day and it won’t prove anything about anything to myself. My goal this year is to establish 40 new quality rock pitches (in single or multi-pitch form). Climbing has been good to me and I have made a point of establishing new climbs so that I am giving back to the community. This year I look forward to establishing 40 rock pitches that will cover a broad spectrum of difficulties. Keep checking in as I will share them with you as I complete them.
Establishing a new pitch of climbing involves the following:
- Finding the line
- Making sure its legal to put in bolts (if necessary)
- Cleaning the line (making sure it’s safe)
- Bolting the line (anchors or bolts and anchors depending on what is needed)
- Sharing it with others (mountain project or some other information sharing venue)
- Time (a new climb can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 years!)